Friday, October 26, 2018

What to carry on or NOT?

What do you carry on or NOT!


Do you carry on or not carry on- THAT is the question?

 I say that if you have to pay for a carry on then I would rather check a bag and take a personal item.  Most flights let you take a personal item that is adequate enough to pack an extra set of clothes, water bottle, entertainment, snacks, etc... I always take this option. I hate paying airlines excessively. Usually, they charge a premium to take a carry on. Most airlines usually try to screw you with some extra fees so I can not stand paying them anymore.  Some people disagree and state that the money difference is worth not worry about potential lost luggage or waiting at the carousel. This is a great point and if that's your choice than I am cool with it. If you are one of those idiots that try to stuff ten pounds of shit in a five-pound oversized bag above in the overhead than YOU need to check that bag! Nobody likes that idiot on a flight, attempting to stuff that huge bag in an overhead that clearly will not fit it.  You know who you are!

I carry on a backpack style bag. I use either a Deuter Act 24L backpack or a North Face Camp Duffel size small (the small meets the dimensions of most airlines). The reason that I like a backpack style is that for the most part, it can fit under most seats as well as that you can carry them without using your hands. This is very beneficial navigating around airports or other areas you may need your hands free. They both also have compression straps to snug down your items as well as daisy-chain to strap stuff to the outside if needed. 

It is also beneficial when you do get your baggage to be able to handle it without having to worry about having your hands full already. Time can be crucial to grab a bag off a carousel or throw it into a cab. Who wants to wrestle extra when it is not needed. 

I also find you can pack these bags to the gills! This is wonderful if your space it tight. I can say that I actually have been able to pack one efficiently enough to not only have a personal item. This is great if you can do this because it not only saves money but time. Obviously, you can not do this for a long trip unless you plan to wash clothes or it is a vacation where you need very little. 

It can be kind of fun to challenge yourself to see how efficient you can be. OK, maybe I am crazy!


Travel Smart!


Ben and Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment